Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2012-Year Of The "Huh?" Complaint, But This One Beats All

I've decided that this past year was the year of people trying to complain about the fact that their cake was delivered in exactly the right way, as ordered and detailed on the contract.

Based on my own experiences, as well as a LOT of things I've heard from other bakers across the country, it seems that last year's trend was to complain in order to try to get refunds, even if there was nothing wrong with the cake. Blame the economy, or online blogs telling people how to complain to get money back, or whatever other reason you can think of.

I can think of three or four people who called me to complain that the color wasn't right (it was based on the contract and swatches they sent) or the lace pattern on the cake wasn't right (it was, based on the photos they sent and the dress they were wearing) or whatever. One person actually told me "The contract doesn't matter" when I told her that I delivered the design that she had ordered. Okaaay....

I have multiple friends who do cakes who had people tell them that the cake was wrong even though the contract detailed exactly what was delivered, so it isn't an unusual thing, I suppose. But this next one was the capper on the whole year.

This is the cake that one of my friends delivered to a recent wedding:
This is the actual email that she received from the planner the next day: "Just wanted to touch base with you about the cake you delivered for the wedding on Saturday. The couple was pleased with the cake, but there was one glaring mistake. The cake was ordered to be a hexagon, not square. Though my clients were ok with it, it was not what they ordered according to the attached contract."

The contract said "hexagon." The bride wanted a hexagonal cake.

Look at the picture.

Honestly, I don't even know how I'd respond to that. I think that if I got an email like that I'd find a kindergarten diagram of shapes and send it to her, because seriously, what?

So I hope that's the peak of the complain-about-getting-what-you-ordered trend, because I don't even know how anyone could outdo that genius.


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember, LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA

5 comments:

Anne Heath said...

Obviously the Bride DID NOT HAVE A PROFESSIONAL PLANNER either! What a Joke! If I were that Planner I would have been Mortally Embarrassed to have sent that complaint for the Bride! Unfortunately I have experienced similar situations with couples who just want refunds because they over extended their budgets. They will find any little thing to complain about, right or wrong. SMH

Loving Traditions Cakery LLC said...

My topper of complaints this year was from the mother of the bride. We use a simple cupcake tower with a single tier on top and cupcakes down below. The cupcake stand was clear plexiglass and you could clearly see that the stand snapped together. Well with there carelessness in handling the cupcake tower fell apart and broke. They blamed me for not giving them detailed instructions on how to handle the EQUIPMENT....really??? Equipment it's a cupcake tower. My thought process was you can rent a $30,000 car and they give you a minute of instructions on how to operate it.
Sometimes it gets frustrating working with people.......: )

Loving Traditions Cakery LLC said...

My topper of complaints this year was from the mother of the bride. We use a simple cupcake tower with a single tier on top and cupcakes down below. The cupcake stand was clear plexiglass and you could clearly see that the stand snapped together. Well with there carelessness in handling the cupcake tower fell apart and broke. They blamed me for not giving them detailed instructions on how to handle the EQUIPMENT....really??? Equipment it's a cupcake tower. My thought process was you can rent a $30,000 car and they give you a minute of instructions on how to operate it.
Sometimes it gets frustrating working with people.......: )

Anna said...

OMG how did she respond? Its a gorgeous cake, and if the bride and groom were "fine with it", it sounds like they knew it was hex. The planner is either stupid, or really reaching.

Jo Ann said...

I had a whopper last summer. I delivered a "cowboy" cake that had required HOURS of testing and construction to make sure everything would work. The reception was an hours drive away, at a horse farm, in a barn. They were supposed to leave my money on the table, but I didn't see if (red flag) so I asked the site manager to get and hold it for me. I got a call the next day from a bridesmaid, telling me that there were flies on the cake (barn...horse farm...), so they threw it away and didn't eat it, and consequently wouldn't be paying me for it! It was as if I brought the flies with the cake! grrrrr