Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Interview with Michelle of Lunatiger


I ran across this Etsy artist and thought that her bouquets were really interesting. Lunatiger is a shop that includes origami bouquets and boutonnieres, as well as some Swarovski items.

I asked Michelle, who's the artist behind the flowers, to tell me a little about her business:


Q: How did you start making origami bouquets? What's your background in terms of learning how to do it, that kind of thing?

Michelle: I started making origami flowers when I was 8 years old. It was very popular in school. I taught myself how to do it after I got an origami kit. It was a bit frustrating at first but after a lot of trial and error I finally got it. (I was a very determined 8 year old)

As I got older I continued to make them for school fundraisers and gift giving to friends and family.  A friend of mine recommended that I should sell them on Etsy and things took off from there. I found that a lot of people were messaging me to create bouquets for their wedding. I was a bit taken aback by the amount of enthusiasm shown to my origami roses, but that inspired me to create a line of origami wedding bouquets. Slowly my little Etsy shop grew.
 

Q: What kinds of materials do you use, and can you do custom work if someone wants you to do a specific color?

Michelle: I use a special satin material that's sturdy and holds up well. But I also experiment with other fabric materials. At the moment I'm making my roses out of lace and ombre ribbons. With these special fabrics there are some extra steps involved. I treat the material before folding them so that they fold into a nice defined shape.

I do quite a few custom orders for brides who would like to use a special color or material, but usually they refer to my color chart for available rose colors. If they want to use something specific they send me a photo or an actual cutting of material they want to incorporate and we discuss how they would like it to look on their bouquets. There is a limit however, since not all materials give the same desired effect.
 
 
Q: What's your favorite part about making the bouquets?

Michelle: I love folding my roses. I find it's really relaxing and peaceful just sitting and folding while listening to some tunes. That's the easy part since my hands have been trained very well over the years. I don't even need to look down at what I'm doing. Also another thing I love about making my origami bouquets is seeing the end result, especially if it's a custom request and getting to ship it to brides all over the world.


Thanks, Michelle! If you'd like to see more of her work, go to www.etsy.com/shop/lunatiger


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA

No comments: