Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Another Grocery Store Wedding Cake

I had shown a photo of the lovely Walmart wedding cake they have on display at my local store, and someone else found another example of the "less than excellent" work that can come out of grocery stores.

Here it is in all its glory:

 
Ah yes...the unintended texture, the uneven piping...Just what every bride wants to see on her wedding day.
 
This is just a cautionary tale. Not every grocery store decorator is going to do a craptastic job like these cakes, but that's the point. When you buy a cake from a grocery store, YOU DON'T KNOW WHO'S MAKING IT. You could get lucky and have someone really talented decorate your cake, or you could have someone who thinks that monkey-iced cakes are the best ever. You just don't know!
 
Fact is, the same thing could happen when you hire a large bakery to do it. One of my friends owns a bakery and only hires people who know what they're doing. I know that it isn't that way across the board, so you'd better check. One decorator told of the bakery near her that had every one of its decorating staff quit and walk out the door the day before the decorating rush for the week was going to happen. I wonder what happened with the cakes that week?
 
Make sure that you know who's making your cake, or the skill level that you think you're paying for might not be what you get.
 
 
Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA
 


3 comments:

Anna said...

I was lucky to get that picture, it was taken down, strangely enough;-) I wonder why? Ha!

heather fizer said...

Wow thats horrifying! Poor bride! But I will so use this pic when someone asks why I charge so much more! Thanks youve made a brilliant point!

Smckinney07 said...

This is disgusting! They didn't even manage to get the sides semi-smooth.

I'm a CC member, I've been reading your blog since before I started decorating (been trying to plan my wedding the past two years in between lol). I have always found your posts & articles refreshing, concise and so informative!

I've been working on my online presence to help expand my business. I'm just so impressed with all that you do! I can't imagne keeping your blog updated, while running your cake and online businesses. It's so important to educate the public (as well as other professionals) in this over saturated market.